Skip to main content

FAQ: About Disability Services

Disability Services

What should I know when applying to Texas A&M University?  Are there any special procedures?

Students with disabilities must apply to TAMU through the regular admissions procedure.  There are no special admissions procedures. A student may, however, apply to the companies that administer the standardized admission exams (such as Educational Testing Services and The College Board) for provision of accommodations when taking standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT and GRE. Contact the exam administration companies for further information on how to apply for and make arrangements for standardized exam accommodations.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you suspect you have a disability that is impacting your academic performance, you will need to provide documentation of that disability to Disability Services (DS). This documentation must be supplied by a qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question. An appointment should be scheduled with an Access Coordinator (AC) in the Department of Disability Services to discuss your potential need for services and to gather resource and referal information.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school, how are these services different in college?

Colleges are required to provide any reasonable accommodation that may be necessary for equal access to education. They are not required to design special programs for students with disabilities or have Individualized Educational Plans (IEP’s).

If I am a student with a disability, will Disability Services seek me out to provide services like my counselors did in high school?

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act. IDEA no longer applies. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Under IDEA, it is the responsibility of the schools to provide services and seek out students with disabilities.  Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities.  It is the student's responsibility to seek out services through Disability Services.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults.  In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions.  However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents.  Parents can be a wonderful source of support.

I have a physical disability and have trouble getting around.  What types of accommodations are geared just for me?

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to register with Disability Services every semester so that their Access Coordinator can help them with access to buildings and other university activities.  Disability Services partners with Facilities Services to address concerns with building and campus access.

Due to the large size of the campus, paratransit services are available as needed.

I suspect I have a learning disability, can Disability Services conduct the assessment to provide a diagnosis?

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing or evaluations to determine is a student has a disability. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing to support the requested accommodations, if necessary.  However, Disability Services does provide referral information for local evaluators.

I'm a Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) client.  Is there anything special I should know?

If you have a DARS counselor in your home town, you are encouraged to stay in contact with your home counselor.  If you do not have a home town DARS counselor or have other questions regarding DARS, you may contact the Bryan/College Station DARS office at 979-680-5270.

I'm a DARS Division for Blind Services (DBS) client (formerly called "Texas Commission for the Blind").  Is there anything special I should know?

If you have a DARS counselor in your home town, you are encouraged to have your home counselor contact Disability Services to provide information about your accessibility needs.  If you don't have a home town DARS counselor, contact  DARS in Bryan/College Station.   The telephone number to the Bryan/College Station DARS office is 979-680-5270.

Students who are legally blind (20/200 corrected in better eye -or- field of view no larger than 15 degrees) can receive a tuition waiver which will cover virtually all educational expenses at a Texas state educational institution.  Students who are not legally blind but have 20/70 corrected or better vision -or- field of view no larger than 30 degrees may also receive some financial support and services.