Parking and transportation on the Texas A&M University campus is coordinated by Transportation Services. Disabled parking placards and license plates are issued by the County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office. The information provided below is a brief overview of the resources and procedures involved in utilizing these services in the campus community.
To access disabled permit parking on-campus, individuals need a county-issued disabled parking hanging placard or a disabled license plate and a Texas A&M University parking permit from Transportation Services. With a county-issued disabled hanging placard or disabled license plate PLUS a TAMU parking permit or paid visitor parking fee, a person may park in any available unrestricted space.
How to obtain a disabled parking placard
In order to obtain a disabled parking permit from the County Tax Assessor’s Office, an individual should follow the procedures outlined by the Texas Department of Transportation. This includes:
- Having a doctor complete the Disability Statement on the Permit Application
- Completing the rest of the permit application
- Submitting the application and payment to your local County Tax Assessor’s Office
The County Tax Assessor’s Office charges $5 for a temporary disabled parking permit, but note that this fee is subject to change as the Assessor’s Office deems necessary. There is no fee for a person with a permanent disability.
Location of Local County Tax Assessor-Collector’s Office
An individual with a disability can obtain a disabled parking permit locally from:
Brazos Valley Tax Assessor’s Office
4151 County Park Ct.
Bryan, TX 77802
Hours of operation:
Monday through Friday
8 am to 5 pm
Texas A&M University offers on campus and off campus bus (transit) system. Most buses are equipped with wheelchairs lifts.
A student with a disability who is unable to use the standard transit routes may apply for Paratransit services. Paratransit service is available to qualified persons who live within three-quarters (3/4) of a mile of a bus stop located on one of the standard fixed-routes.
Paratransit services are for assistance in getting to and from classes and around campus. For more information and an application form please go to http://transport.tamu.edu/transit/paratransit.aspx
In the Bryan/College Station Community the following services are available:
- The District (979-778-0607, http://www.btd.org/BryanCollegeStation.htm)
The District operates fixed routes in Bryan/College Station. The fixed routes travel the same path every hour on the hour beginning and ending at the Transfer Point.
- Paratransit Services by The District (http://www.btd.org/Paratransit.htm)
- Brazos Valley Center for Independent Living (BVCIL) Transportation
- Taxi/Shuttle Services (http://local.yahoo.com/TX/College+Station/Travel+Lodging/Taxi+Services)
- 24/7 Taxi has ability to transport individuals in motorized wheelchairs